Sunday, October 17, 2010

Analyzing Student Data in a Spreadsheet

I was given student test data for 10 tests in a google spreadsheet document. In an effort to analyze students who fell below average test scores I sorted student data and compiled it into two graphs, as seen below.



When reviewing the graphs I noticed that all students made progress and increased their scores between tests 6 and 10. Some students had ups and downs, which could be attributed to misunderstanding a test question or having a bad day. Their overall progress shows me as an educator that students are retaining what is being taught and improving over time. My greater concern is for the disparity between the highest and lowest performers in the class. I might take the time to do a comprehensive review in the form of a game or critical thinking exercise and pair up the high and low performers. Or, depending on the grade level, might send home supplemental activites for the low end students that could be done on a voluntary basis.

Using google spreadsheets made calculating student averages and sorting students in to groups, quick and easy. I think it would be a great way to track and calculate student grades. Another advantage to the program being internet based is that students and parents could have access to view a student's progress and missing assignments.

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't figure out how to make the graphs smaller. I looked for the numbers in the HTML code, but didn't see any. If you have suggestions, I am open to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the thorough reflection.
    Making graph(s) smaller: consider placing the graph BELOW the data table then you can resize it to fit as you wish!

    A few more tweaks:
    1) please include the data table of Students & Tests 6-10 and statistics
    2) please make the link to the original sheet Public and Viewable (currently one can't view the sheet).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I addressed your comments. The way a google spreadsheet embeds has changed slightly. It took me a little while to figure it out.

    ReplyDelete