Sunday, February 27, 2011

No Pass, No Drive Laws Spreading

Published Jan. 26th, 2011 in Ed Week

I was surprised to read that the majority of states have implemented a policy that requires students to have consistent school attendance, strong academic performance, and/or good behavior in order to receive a driver's license. This is a new development since my time as a teenage driver. I did receive a discount from my insurance company for good grades, but that is far different that the DMV prohibiting me from getting a license unless I met certain requirements. I am now curious to discover Oregon's rules for new drivers.

I think this model is potentially a great concept. Similar rules are in place for high school sports. Students must maintain a certain GPA and follow behavior codes. Driving is a privledge that I agree teenagers must earn.

In the article it states that New Mexico is trying to take this concept a step further by tying state test scores to receiving a license. They require a score near proficiency on state reading and math tests. Although its sad to say, I suspect a large percentage of the students where I currently work would not meet this requirement. I definitely think each state, maybe even each school district should set their own requirements. Students should be pushed to succeed within their ability levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment